Boxing at the 2008 Summer OlympicsThe boxing programme of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China will be held at the Workers' Indoor Arena.
There are to be eleven events in the boxing programme, which again will be an all-male competition. The International Olympic Committee considered the introduction of women's boxing in the Olympic Games, which will be part of the 2012 London Olympics.
Events* Light flyweight (-48 kg)
* Flyweight (48-51 kg)
* Bantamweight (51-54 kg)
* Featherweight (54-57 kg)
* Lightweight (57-60 kg)
* Light welterweight (60-64 kg)
* Welterweight (64-69 kg)
* Middleweight (69-75 kg)
* Light heavyweight (75-81 kg)
* Heavyweight (81-91 kg)
* Super heavyweight (+91 kg)
Qualifying CriteriaA National Olympic Committee (NOC) may enter up to 1 athlete in each event. Nine places will be reserved for the host nation, from which it will choose 6 places maximum, while the remaining places will be allocated to the Tripartite Invitation Commission. For each athlete from the host NOC who qualifies through the AIBA World Amateur Boxing Championships, the host nation will lose a guaranteed place.
Qualification events are:
* 2007 World Amateur Boxing Championships - Chicago,IL, United States, October 23-November 3 (8 athletes for -81 kg categories, 4 athletes for +81 kg)
* Continental Olympic Qualifying Events (during 2008, two events in Africa, America, Asia and Europe)
* 2008 Oceania Boxing Championships
© Deepthi.com, 2003-2008. All Rights Reserved.
Contact email@example.com for comments and suggestions.