Fencing at the 2008 Summer Olympics
FencingFencing competitions at the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics will be held from August 9 to August 17 at the Olympic Green Convention Centre.
Events10 sets of medals will be awarded in the following events:
Olympic Fencing, 1960 Art Print
Buy at AllPosters.com
* Individual Epee Men
* Individual Epee Women
* Individual Foil Men
* Individual Foil Women
* Individual Sabre Men
* Individual Sabre Women
* Team Epee Men
* Team Foil Women
* Team Sabre Men
* Team Sabre Women
Qualifying CriteriaAn NOC may enter up to 3 athletes per weapon for the weapons in which there is a team event and up to 2 athletes per weapon for other weapons.
For each team event there will be 8 qualified teams plus a team from the Host Nation if applicable. The teams will qualify as follows:
* FIE Official Team Ranking as of March 31, 2008 (best 4 teams)
* Highest ranked team from each zone (America, Europe, Asia/Oceania, Africa) outside top 4 in FIE Team Ranking (4 teams)
For each individual event (weapons which have a team event) there will be 39 qualified athletes as follows:
* All athletes qualified for team competition (24 athletes)
* The 3 highest ranked athletes in the FIE Individual AOR (3 athletes)
* The 7 highest ranked athletes from FIE Individual AOR by zone (Europe 2, America 2, Asia/Oceania 2, Africa 1) - 1 per NOC
* The 5 highest ranked athletes from zonal qualifying events (Europe 2, America 1, Asia/Oceania 1, Africa 1) - 1 per NOC
For the remaining individual events there will be 24 qualified athletes as follows:
* The first 8 from the FIE Individual Ranking
* The first 8 from the FIE Individual AOR by zone (Europe 3, America 2, Asia/Oceania 2, Africa 1) - 1 athlete per country
* The first 8 from zonal qualifying events (Europe 3, America 2, Asia/Oceania 2, Africa 1) - 1 per NOC, open only for NOCs not qualified as mentioned above
© Deepthi.com, 2003-2008. All Rights Reserved.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for comments and suggestions.