Beijing Olympics 2008

Beijing 2008 Olympics

Home



History
Broadcasting
Mascots
Environmental Issues
Participating NOC
Sports
Venues
Schedule

2008 Olympics Sports
Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Canoeing
Cycling
Diving
Equestrian
Fencing
Field-hockey
Football
Gymnastics
Handball
Judo
Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Swimming
Synchronized
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Water Polo
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Sailing 2008 Summer Olympics

Sailing at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing will be held from August 9 to 21. The competition will take place in Qingdao, at Qingdao International Marina.

The events consist of four classes for men, four for women, and three mixed classes that are open to both men and women. Since the 2004 Games, three events will be competed on new equipment. The Neil Pryde RS:X has been selected to replace the Mistral for both Men's and Women's sailboard, and the Laser Radial will replace the Europe as the Women's single-handed dinghy.

Competition Format

Races in all events are sailed in a fleet racing format. The contestants race around the course in a group, and each boat earns a score equal to its finishing position. The scores are summed up over the series of races, with the lowest total score the winner. Contestants are allowed to drop their worst score. Most classes race 11 times and drop the worst score, except the 49er which races 16 times and drops the worst two scores.

Qualification

Approximately 75% of the spots in each sailing class will be awarded to the top finishers at the 2007 ISAF Sailing World Championships. The remaining 25% will be awarded to the top finishers at the 2008 World Championships for each sailing class. The host nation will be awarded one boat for each event.

Deepthi.com, 2003-2008. All Rights Reserved.
Contact webmaster@deepthi.com for comments and suggestions.
Sania Mirza Tennis Bollywood actors and actresses All about Cartoons & Comics Buy & Sell Stockphotographs from around the World New York Visit Tourism Travel

India India Cricket India Bollywood